Sunday 21 June 2009

VIPP


I like being a pregnant person. (And no, that is not my stomach up there. I am holding out on those kinds of photos until there is no shadow of a doubt it is Baby Not Burgers)

  • People are nice to you.
  • They care about how you are doing. And mean it.
  • They think being round is Cute. For Once.
  • Resting is important and excused
  • People squeal when they see you
  • And are really genuinely excited for you
  • You get to buy big clothes
  • You no longer need to (or can) hold your gut in
  • Not seeing your feet is comical, not tragic
  • Looking good is secondary, OK, tertiary, to feeling good
  • Asking for help comes really easily
  • It matches my already advanced need for quiet time and naps and comfy bottoms
So yes, it suits. I love the attention. I love my thick hair and strong nails. I love the kicks and the somersaults. I love Mark talking to my tummy. I have a few physical niggles, but not bad. I feel good. And Special. Because I am growing a person.

What's going to happen after the boy comes? Will I get any attention? Will I care? Is this the ultimate test of being a Grown Up? It is no longer about you -- and that is OK? Does the maternal love kick in and all that matters is the Baby?

Being a Very Important Pregnant Person is lovely. I look forward to seeing if I can give up the crown graciously to my new Prince.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A boy! Yeah! Of course, couldn't you just write a headline announcing "It's a Boy!" rather than making us read the entire post?

Andy

charming gardener said...

if you were on facebook, you'd already know! So there.

Dear Andy,

It is going to be a boy!

Love,

stumpy

charming gardener said...

um, which andy?

Anonymous said...

Andy, even I'm on facebook...and joined solely to get the news on the baby.

Mary

Anonymous said...

I'm going to buy your baby a denim onsie and a denim blanket.

THAT Andy