Sunday 29 July 2007

my big day out

After a 2 month driving hiatus, I took advantage of a calm mood, a licenced driver partner and Sunday traffic and took my readjusted seat! Great to get behind the wheel of the wide silver grampa car and onto the road with the sunroof open letting the cool morning air in.

And I even drove further then my usual 3 minute, 2 turn route to the urban Tesco. We forged new territory! Daring to venture as far a field as Willowbrae and Prestonfield. I experienced new traffic patterns, used my handbrake accordingly, stayed out of the bus lanes and hit nothing and no one.

And I think I found my real impetuous to get my actual drive-on-my-own-licence. The Big Sainsbury in Cameron Toll. It may be as close to a Target as I can get on this side of the big ocean. It was near impossible to get a proper look with antsy Mark with me hurrying me along the aisles and prodding me to Just Get the Things We Need, while having to ignore the rows of cheap and cheerful ladies clothing and housewares and magazines and giant bakery/deli area.

How I could wheel through each aisle and noodle over the good things to make, new brands to discover and cheapo ways to enliven our flat with new candles or tea towels or the odd new kitchen utensil.

One of the things I miss about our former life is a bit of commerce. And possibly why grocery shopping is still so fun for me as I can rationalize spending money on good food and drink as it is necessary, while new shoes and holiday travel is not.

Well today I got a sniff of a place I can get my commercial jollies without breaking the bank. Just need to make it a solo adventure and one more step to a fully acclimated dweller of the UK.

No comments: