Tuesday 3 October 2006

on the way to work

Do you have a place that you eyeball on your daily commute and think, “Oh how I wish I could just go THERE instead of the office today.”

Mine used to be the Brothers Coffee in Cleveland Park. As I trudged to the red line metro everyday I would peer in and dream of long and relaxing time with coffee and the Washington Post. Maybe a scone. Look out the window onto Connecticut Avenue at all the DC commuters and passer-by, hustling and heads down. And just sigh contentedly knowing I could stay put.

I have found my new spot here in Edinburgh, and I believe it is a nice upgrade from the strip mall coffee place full of odd seniors and crazy people from my building in Quebec House.

Princes Steet Gardens

My a.m. walk to work is about 35 waking walking minutes, so I take the bus. Or I sweat on it anyway. (Why will no one open the windows?) The route takes me down the high street here – Princes Street. One side is shops and stores and commerce and the other side is Princes Street Gardens. I try to position myself to face West and the gardens, so I can take in the view to the castle and Old Town. Hilly and old beautiful buildings and green and just makes you want to breathe deeper. The gardens have meandering paths and benches every step of the way in case you want to stop and look at one of the many statues/monuments or take in the view, read the paper or dream or rest. I dream of just getting off the bus there and spending the day being calm and of course, reading the paper with a lingering hot beverage. (All my fantasies include a leisurely hot beverage, which says something about me that is perhaps sad.)


Apparently, Princes Street was once a residential area. The wealthy class of Edinburgh had chosen it for its panoramic view: the Old Town and Edinburgh Castle. One of the reasons the Old Town was preserved so well is because the rich didn't want their home views spoiled by shops, so the Old Town was never touched.

Thank god, as now it keeps me morning fantasy alive. And the view from the 11 dreamy.

No comments: